Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Free Post: That Sisterlocks Thing

Between getting my hair did and Peanut starting preschool this week, I haven't had much time for updating my blog.

I was surprised at all the posts about my hair so I've embedding a slideshow here to show off my new Sisterlocks. I spent part of the morning in front of my mirror with the camera and came away with about 100 close up shots of my camera and a few dozen more with only parts of my head showing. I guess I need to learn how to properly frame a shot.



Anyway. I mentioned before that this is my third set of locs. The first time I did it, it was in the traditional palm-rolling method. I'd been wearing my hair natural for several years and it took to locking pretty easily. I went twice a month to a salon called Muriel's in Dorchester, MA to have my hair washed and re-twisted. 

After a few months, the locks settled in and I was able to maintain them on my own. I kept them for about four years before I got the itch and wanted something new. I cut them into a shoulder length bob initially (lengthwise, they were at my shoulder blades) but after a few months of that I just started detangling them. It took about a month (I was only able to detangle about four a day with a metal pick comb.) When it was all said and done (after combing out the shed hairs and getting a haircut) I was left with the shoulder length hair that I always dreamed of. I was throwing that stuff over my shoulder enough to cause neck injury but after six months, I got sick of the upkeep and braided my hair in an attempt to re-lock it. 

It was fine for about two years but I hated that the locks still kind of looked like braids and that my parts were so crooked. I got fed up again and just chopped it back down to a TWA. As it started to grow out I started thinking about getting Sisterlocks. I'd admired the style for awhile and wanted something a little more versatile than my first set of long heavy locks.

I met a woman at Costco with Sisterlocks and she gave me the name of her stylist (a trainee consultant named Valorie Lowe) and I was off. Got my test locks and a month later I was sitting in Valorie's living room, watching movies and joking while she put 400+ locs on my head. It took a total of about 24 hours and I am very happy with it. The price was steep but considering the amount of time it took and the money I won't be spending at the hair salon and on the latest curly hair "miracle" creams it wasn't bad. 

So there you have it. I called this entry a "free post" because I'd love to hear your hair stories too. You know sisters love to talk about hair so have at it and have a good weekend. 

Also, there isn't much there right now but I'll share more pics of my hair on Fotki in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.777seo.com/seo.php?username=wahyudewi&format=ptp