Saturday, July 12, 2008

On the Newsstand: Domino Magazine August 2008



These days I anticipate the new issue of Domino magazine way more than the new Vogue. That said, the last few issues have been kind of hard to tell apart. I love environmentally friendly furniture too but how many times do I need to see "recycled" pieces of furniture priced in the thousands of dollars? I was surprised and pleased when the new (August) issue arrived in my mailbox this afternoon because 1) the issue is partially devoted to decorating on a realistic budget and 2) there was an honest to God woman of color on the cover! Upon closer inspection I realized that it was none other than Mara Brock Akil, the producer of two shows I really enjoy, the dearly departed Girlfriends and The Game. As you probably know Mara and Shonda Rhimes are the only Black women producing multiple shows for the networks. While I never really got Grey's (I just can't stand the main character,) I was surprised by how much I am loving The Game, even though I hate football. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Akil will get to try her hand at producing a drama soon. In the meantime, here are the photos of her home and gorgeous family. There definitely some design inspiration there:

I also got my Entertainment Weekly (July 18th issue) and if you're interested there is a brief commentary titled: "It's Time to Put Black Actresses in Hollywood Blockbusters" by Maureaux Watson. I couldn't agree more. I think it's very strange that Will Smith is the biggest movie star in the world yet studios are hesitant to cast a black woman as his love interest in all those blockbuster movies.
ETA: The trailer for "Medicine for Melancholy" -- a film I would definitely leave my house to see. Plus Kavbojka Klub's take on it & Invisible Woman's review of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.777seo.com/seo.php?username=wahyudewi&format=ptp