Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"American Dream" - Tyra Banks



I was more than a little irked when I read that Tyra Banks would be dressed up as Michelle Obama in the September issue of Harper's Bazaar but I must say that after viewing the pictures (scanned by MissMagAddict,) I'm not hating these.

Tyra is no Michelle and the shoot lacks imagination (I've seen the "politician's wife spread more than once this year) but there are some positive things about it.

For one, Harper's got Tyra to peel off that blonde lace-front wig. I mean, sure they just slapped another one on but at least her follicles got to breathe for a minute. Second, color me shocked (!) that two dark skinned black children were used in the editorial. I didn't know fashion magazines knew what to do with black children save dress them in 'ethnic' clothing and maybe photograph them in close proximity to livestock and vacationing models.

The only photo that really leaves me scratching my head is the one of the First Couple in bed. Tyra's beautiful strapless gown is strewn across the sheets but instead of being in an intimate embrace, the couple (dressed in Harvard sweatshirts) are reading the paper and appear to be discussing the health benefits of  peppermint tea. I mean, I know this is supposed to be a little tongue in cheek but THAT is not my Barack and Michelle. I guess HB chickened out at the prospect of showing a little black love. 

Photographer: Alexi Lubomirski 

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.777seo.com/seo.php?username=wahyudewi&format=ptp