Monday, August 18, 2008

What I'll Be Watching this Fall

Compared to last year, this fall is looking a little better for black actresses. Here are a few movies and television shows that I'm looking forward to seeing. What about you? Am I missing out on anything here?

"Lakeview Terrace"  trailer 


This movie looks interesting. It's about a cop (Samuel L. Jackson) who loses his shit when a young interracially married couple move in next door. I think this movie would have been a little more interesting (and realistic) if the couple was black and one of their white neighbors gave them grief but whatever, I'll wait and see how this plays out. I adore Kerry Washington and she plays the wife. Can I just say I am thrilled that she's in a role that doesn't have her playing against a Wayans brother of The Thing? 

"The Family That Preys" trailer

I am guilty of dismissing Tyler Perry movies unseen in the past but I have to admit that I've found the ones that I saw on cable entertaining in that Sunday afternoon on the couch kind of way. He is employing more black actresses than anyone else in the game so I can't hate and from the looks of this flick, the quality level is going up. This one stars Sanaa Lathan, who I also think is a beautiful, talented and overlooked actress so I might have to get my butt to the theater for this one.

"The Secret Life of Bees" trailer


I started this book and never got around to finishing it. There's not much to this trailer but I know that Sophie Okonedo and Alicia Keys also star in the film. I've liked Sophie since her small role in "Dirty Pretty Things." The film is directed by Gina-Prince Bythwood, who also directed "Love and Basketball."

"True Blood" trailer (HBO)


Since "The Wire" went off the air, there hasn't been much of a reason to tune into HBO. This fall a new show written by Alan Ball of "Six Feet Under" fame will premiere. The show is about vampires in a backwoods Louisiana town and it has a black actress in it (Rutina Wesley.) Naturally, she's playing the best friend of the lead character in what will probably be a small role. I'll tune in out of curiosity.



"Dollhouse" (FOX)


"Faith" was my least favorite Buffy character, partially because I don't think Eliza Dushku is a very good actress. No sisters appear to have been employed during the making of this show but what can I say? I am a Joss Whedon fan and I will be watching.

In addition Viola Davis will play the mother of an African-American boy who is sexually abused by a parish priest in the movie "Doubt." Entertainment Weekly seems to think that the role might land her an Oscar nomination. You might have seen Taraji P. Henson is a few scenes of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." They've been promoting that flick non-stop during the Olympics but Brad Pitt isn't a name that gets me in the theater these days.  I also read that Angela Bassett will be on the new season of "E.R." but lawd help me I stopped watching that show 10 years ago and I just can't go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.777seo.com/seo.php?username=wahyudewi&format=ptp